2013-03-27

5. Ruthless with email

I'm using David Allens system for personal productivity called Getting Things Done. The system states some overarching principles, such as Inbox Zero - reduce the content in all inboxes to zero elements at least once every day, and a process in order to reach that state.

Roughly stated, the process for emptying all inboxes is as follows: For each item in the box, ask the question "Is it Actionable?" If yes, formulate a next action and place this in a system to keep track of it. If no, figure out if it's trash, if it's something you need for later, or something you want to keep for reference. Sounds like simplicity itself, right? See the picture below for details. There is one big problem with the application of this procedure. The first question - "Is it Actionable?" - generate too many false positives, and there are too many effing emails in this world.  If you open an email, and ask your self "Is this Actionable?" your brain will happily translate that to "Is there something I could possibly do with this thing?" and then happily continue to answer "Well, dude! Yeah, sure! Here's some random thing you could do!" "This commercial from the electronics store... You know, you should investigate a new stereo!" Bam. New useless project.



In the email-account I use for work, I get ~70 mails I need to relate to in some way or another pr. week. That's... 14 mails a day. There are spikes of perhaps 30 mails in one day. The actual number of mails that hits my mailbox is higher - maybe three times that number - but two thirds get sorted to designated folders I seldomly need to look at. I'm not on any mailing lists except those relevant at work. So 70 - that's the number of mails I need to open, read, and figure out if and how to act on. In addition I get ~30 mails a week for my private account. I don't know if 100 emails a week is a lot. It feels like a lot at times. And some times I get a bit on my heels, and they pile up. So how do I cope?

The solution to this email-problem is found in the parts of GTD that have not gained the same amount of attention as the mechanics around processing. Allen talk about six different horizons of focus:

  1. Next Actions
  2. Projects
  3. Areas of focus and responsibility
  4. Goals and intentions - things that should manifest in life in two to three years
  5. Vision - how should life be
  6. Purpose - principles, ideals and why I ultimately are here.

Most tools only handle 1, 2 and perhaps they pay lip-service to level 3. These are the high throughput artefacts. The things that should have turnaround-times in at most a few weeks. They pose interesting engineering challenges. They are easier to talk about. "Hey, what system do you use to track your next actions?" But in order to fix that mail problem, I find I need to play on more levels.

A more representational thought-procedure for my part might be something like the following - if I really spell it out.
Is it somewhat probable that this item does not relate to my current projects, my defined areas of focus or my goals?
If the answer is yes, I chuck it in the bin right away. This is not revolutionary, by the way. Judging how meaningful a piece of "stuff" is to you by aligning it with your areas, goals and vision is exactly the point of the GTD-system. This fact just seems to drown in the tool-mayhem.

I can intuitively answer that question quite fast. Often even without opening the mail. If I hesitate a little bit with deciding yes or no, I archive it instead of deleting it. Minor safety valve. Sure, I loose stuff. I quite possibly miss opportunities. I feel a bit like a ruthless bully when I munch through 20 mails in five minutes, and only two of them survived the ordeal. But I empty my inbox and feel good about it.

Didn't I get back to you on the email you sent? I guess you didn't align with my grand plan in life. I'm sorry. But my inbox is clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment